Now, back to this week’s topic. For all of you with August birthdays out there, your gemstone spirit animal is peridot–and we couldn’t be more obsessed! Whether you love or hate this stone, peridot is considered to be underrated within the jewelry communities despite its affordability. Read on to discover a few facts that may help you appreciate this lovely gemstone even more.
Appearance: Did you know that peridot is one of the few gemstones that is consistently the same color? The shade of green this stone displays varies based on the iron content. The shades of green can range from a yellow-tinted spring green to an olive green.
Origin: Peridot can be found in a range of places, including Arkansas, Arizona, Nevada, Hawaii, Australia, Brazil, Egypt and Kenya, among other locations. Despite being able to source this stone in many locations, the largest and most valuable peridot comes from St. John’s Island and Burma.
- Wear like an Egyptian! As it turns out, Queen Cleopatra’s “emerald” collection may have been partially comprised of high-quality peridot from Egypt and Burma.
- This stone is truly out of this world! Though it’s rare, pieces of peridot have been found in meteorites.
- Peridot has special meaning to Hawaiians. They say the stone represents the tears of Pele–the goddess of fire and volcanoes.
- What a softie! Peridot cannot sustain wear like other gemstones, and bezel settings are recommended to protect it.
- The most desired color for peridot is a sparkling yellow-green.
- The largest peridot gemstone to date was found on the island of Zabargad and it weighs a whopping 319 carats!
Peridot’s Healing Benefits:
- Skip the juice cleanse and wear peridot! It has been said that peridot can have a cleansing, detoxifying effect.
- Take it out on peridot. This green stone is great for those prone to anger outbursts and stress.
- Peridot is believed to help ward off feelings of jealousy. Grip a piece of peridot while looking through your ex’s Facebook feed.
- Stand tall and proud with peridot! This sweet green stone can help you release your inner confidence.
- Feeling like you’re in a slump? Peridot may be able to help you out. This gem could potentially rid you of lethargy and exhaustion.
Famous Figures Born in August:
- Barack Obama
- Charlize Theron
- Anna Kendrick
- Neil Armstrong
- Cara Delevingne
- Jennifer Lawrence
- Andy Warhol
- Michael Jackson
- Honey Boo Boo
Create Peridot-Inspired Pieces at Bead Fest Tacoma!
It all happens this October 26-29
Elevated Ring | Jeff Fulkerson | Intermediate
De-mystify silver soldering and stone setting, all while boosting your confidence and creating a beautiful new ring!
Ooh La Leaves | Shae Wilhite | Beginner
Craft your own beautiful French beaded leaves and use them for necklaces, earrings and more with stringing techniques!
Double Stone Adjustable Argentium Ring | Janet Alexander | Intermediate
Janet shares her tips and tricks for soldering Argentium silver, stone setting, drilling, connecting stones and so much more! With hints of green, the result is a stunning piece–created by you!
Now You Know About Peridot!
There you have it, friends! A run down of August’s special gemstone. Another fun fact about peridot is that it’s the star of our Bead Fest Tacoma website! We took some gorgeous shots of this gem to go along with our green theme for fall.
And hey West-Coasters, we’re coming for you this October in Tacoma, WA! Save a seat in your Bead Fest Tacoma workshop faves NOW before they’re gone!