EXPLORE THE WORLD OF TOPAZ
Appearance: Raw topaz can be found in a wide range of colors, including clear varieties, pale brown, pink, yellow and blue. The deeper the saturation of the stone, the more valuable it is. Topaz in a rich golden-orange shade is known as Imperial Topaz, and it is the most valuable variety of the stone. A deep, natural red hue makes the stone even more coveted. Many of the colorful topaz gemstones are color treated to achieve an ideal shade and depth.
Origin: Brazil boasts the most popular topaz mines, and one can find the rare Imperial Topaz and very large pieces of topaz in Brazil. Other notable countries that produce topaz are Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and even parts of the United States.
Fun Facts About Topaz:
- Forget protein powder! The Ancient Greeks believed that wearing topaz could provide people with strength.
- Topaz is a popular present to gift couples celebrating their fourth wedding anniversaries.
- It has been said that topaz can ward off sadness and depression, especially when worn as a necklace.
- Topaz is one tough cookie! It ranks 8 out of 10 on Mohs Hardness Scale.
- Pink topaz was discovered in Russia during the 19th century, and it became a cherished gemstone for its beauty and rarity.
- Topaz is also known as a stone that promotes loyalty and faithfulness.
Famous Figures with November Birthdays:
- Scarlett Johansson
- Chloë Sevigny
- Ryan Gosling
- Calvin Klein
- Christian Siriano
- Lilly Pulitzer
- Emma Stone
We personally love blue varieties of topaz, and we have hand-selected workshops inspired by this beautiful gemstone!
Beginning Soldering on Fine Silver Metal Clay Earrings | Janet Alexander
Mold your metal clay earrings into a unique piece of art using doming and carving techniques. Finish your project off with a brilliant blue gemstone!
Metal Morphosis Saddle Ring | Eva Sherman
Create a dramatically-textured ring using an organic and unstructured style by fusing sterling silver to a base plate. Add on embellishments like topaz, or a topaz-inspired gemstone for an extra touch of elegance!
Vintage Elegance with Silver Clay | Sulie Girardi
Inspired by the jewels of years past, the antique look of this piece is achieved through various metal clay techniques.
The Marilyn Bracelet | Shae Wilhite
Turn your average bracelet from basic to bling-y by embellishing… then embellish the embellishment! We suggest using blue crystals for topaz-worthy impact.
We wish all of you November babes a happy birthday, and we hope you had a blast getting to know the magical, dazzling topaz gemstone!